Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Blessings Bank

The Blessings Bank

I was awaken abruptly this morning out of deep dream sleep by my dogs. So many images that one normally forgets upon waking were right there at the surface. I sat and reflected for a time on where all those images and people and circumstances within the dream emanated. I started to reach back into my memory to sort out where this or that individual came from, or the setting or the building. The path one was walking along and whom the personality of each individual came from. As I reflected on my past to ferret out the basis of the dream I was left with an interesting realization. The dream came of out my Blessings Bank.

This is the gift I most often seem to overlook. I call it now the Blessings Bank.

We all have one of a sort.

These are the memories we have acquired over our years of living. In Ecclesiastes There is a time to throw stones (memories) and a time to gather stones (memories) together. To me this is the gift of the Bank of Blessings.

For sure within the bank of memories there are remembrances that cause pain, or embarrassment, or even shame. These memories are a part of who we are. They are not blessings for their circumstances, but main contain memories that blessed the moment.

When I leave for work and I thank GOD for the blessing of work, or I pray for continued blessings, or I merely reflect that my cup once again overflows with GOD's blessings, I am reminded not of a life that I may feel has been somewhat wasted, but I see a life that has been so chock full of the blessings of people, rich in the experiences of travel and the beauty I have seen in creation, that the balance sheet in my bank of blessings can never be foreclosed on, or laid off, or given away.

When times are tough, review your bank of blessings and I feel that you will find a very full bank indeed and you may see the gifts that we often take for granted, were granted for a lifetime not just a time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very nice.