Friday, July 3, 2009

Strength in Faith

Many of us, most in fact, practice some sort of belief system. It may be rooted in religious beliefs, or secular beliefs. It may manifest itself in the belief system of non belief (a system in and of itself). For me the system is Christianity as espoused by the Carpenter Jesus of 2000 years ago. I find my strength in the faith based system of an order in the universe that is beyond my ken and I pursue my life based on that belief. There is order. Faith is the attitude that there is order. Reality is that we do not understand nor comprehend it. We attempt to invoke it, yet this order manifests itself in its own time. It also works in its own way. I do not profess to understand how it works. I have theories, yet there is no proof system that we can employ (the Bible is nice, but hardly proof). If we could prove the existence of an active positive force scientifically that would negate the need for faith. Even Jesus praised and espoused the value and necessity of faith as a requirement to the adherents of his belief system. Without faith there is no need to have a Jesus, or anyone or anything else.
And so here we are. Difficult times. Economic uncertainty is the venue for all of us, no matter how well rooted in our jobs we may believe we are. Never moreso in the history of mankind of this era is the line between comfort and despair so finely and tightly drawn. Any of us is just one decision away from poverty and hopelessness. The need to discover strength to maintain ones stamina and and perseverance has manifested itself once again on a scale that mimics the great depression and the options seem even more limited now than then. So I look toward Jesus for my strength in faith in a power that is resilient to the present day. I pray daily, oftentimes many times during the day. Does this mean I have no faith that I have to be so persistent? Is this a sign of weakness? Perhaps. To me what it means is that even though I do not understand just what makes the sun work, let alone how it came to be, I am betting it will rise in the morning as long as I stay physically able to view it. As long as the morrow appears there is hope for positive change, or at least a maturing of my existence. To me this faith is hope, in hope there is a strength that 'comes from knowing'. What is there to know? That all that I do not comprehend is, and as long as it is I can share some sort of existence within it.
That is a fundamental belief behind my Unorthodox Christianess.

No comments: